For some people a tomato is a fruit, others a vegetable but whatever your belief are you aware of the numerous health benefits of eating tomatoes? The tomato is a functional food that not only provides basic nutrients but also helps to prevent a lot of chronic diseases. Tomatoes are a rich in vitamins A and C, and frolic acids. It also contains beneficial nutrients and antioxidants such as alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, choline, beta-carotene and lutein. One single tomato provides your body with protein, carbohydrate (fiber and sugar) and calories.
The antioxidants in tomatoes protect against retinopathy in diabetic patients and even help preserve brain and nerve tissue. They also help with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory. Choline one of the antioxidants present in tomatoes helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
- Cancer- tomatoes are known to combat the free radicals which cause cancer. Tomatoes also prevent prostate cancer as various studies have shown. Lycopene and beta- carotene which are both found in tomatoes play a major role in preventing prostate cancer. Beta- carotene also as an inverse effect on the formation of colon cancer.
- Heart Health- The fiber, potassium, vitamin C and choline found in tomatoes all support in having a healthy heart. High potassium intake also aide in having a reduced risk of catching stroke, protection against loss of muscle mass, preservation of bone mineral density and reduction in the formation of kidney stones.
- Diabetes- tomatoes help to reduce the blood glucose level in type 1 diabetics and improve blood sugar levels, lipids and insulin in type two diabetics.
- Skin- tomatoes to prevent damages to the skin caused by the sun, smoke and pollution. It also smooth’s wrinkles and improve overall skin texture.
- Constipation- tomato is high in water and fiber, thus helping to keep you to keep hydrated and make bowel movements regular.
Tomatoes also help to decrease high blood pressure and pregnancy as the frolic acid protects them against neural tube defects in infants. Eating just one tomato a day can be beneficial in maintaining a healthy body and mind.
Try adding tomatoes in your everyday diet to get the best benefits from it. Add slices to your sandwiches, use tomato sauces, sauté tomatoes with other seasonings when preparing foods and even add canned tomatoes to your soups.